A wire rope clip, also known as a wire rope clamp or cable clamp, is a device used to secure the ends of a wire rope together or create an eye or loop in the rope. It is commonly used in lifting, rigging, and other applications where wire ropes are used.
A wire rope clip typically consists of a U-shaped bolt, a saddle, and two nuts. The U-shaped bolt has threads on one end and a curved portion in the middle. The saddle is a curved metal piece that fits around the wire rope. The nuts are used to secure the saddle and U-bolt together, creating a tight grip on the wire rope.
To create an eye or loop using a wire rope clip, the wire rope is bent back to form the desired size of the loop. The saddle is then placed over the rope, with the U-bolt passing through the saddle and around the rope. The nuts are tightened onto the threaded end of the U-bolt, applying pressure to the saddle and securing the wire rope in place.
It is essential to follow proper installation procedures when using wire rope clips to ensure the strength and reliability of the connection. Here are some guidelines:
- Use the correct size and type of wire rope clip for your wire rope. Wire rope clips are available in various sizes to match different rope diameters.
- Use the recommended number of clips for the specific type of wire rope eye or loop you are creating. The number of clips required may vary depending on the application and the size of the wire rope.
- Place the first clip one base width from the dead end of the wire rope (the short end). The dead end should be inserted into the saddle first.
- Space additional clips evenly along the rope, with the second clip placed on the live end (long end) of the wire rope. The remaining clips should alternate between the dead end and the live end.
- Tighten the nuts evenly and firmly using a wrench, alternating between the nuts to ensure equal pressure on both sides of the saddle.
- After installation, regularly inspect the wire rope clips for any signs of wear, distortion, or slippage. Proper maintenance and periodic re-tightening of the nuts may be necessary.
It's crucial to consult industry standards, guidelines, or seek professional advice when using wire rope clips to ensure proper installation and safe usage in your specific application.